COOP (Chicken Owners Outside Philadelphia)
COOP (Chicken Owners Outside Philadelphia)


Yes you would need to apply for a zoning variance and go in front of the Zoning Hearing Board. The cost of the application is $200 for accessory use. The application due date is April 30th for the May 20th meeting.

You will be looking for a variance from Section 706.B Agricultural Uses:

Livestock: The keeping of animals other than domesticated pets, but including livestock and horses, shall be limited to lots of ar least three (3) acres in size, and shall be limited to one (1) head of livestock or horse, or one hundred (100) fowl per acre on lots less than ten (10) acres in size. Riding academies, livery or boarding stables; and commercial kennels are not included in this provision.

In my conversations it was made clear that this variance would have a better chance of being granted if there are no roosters involved making noise.